The very best way to be safe about fireworks is to not use them at all. Hands down, there is no other way to be fully safe about it. Even the tiniest and tamest of fireworks carry dangers that are not at all pleasant when accidents occur.
The biggest and clearest reason to avoid using fireworks is the fact that they can cause bodily injuries. These injuries range from minor to severe and sometimes life threatening. Most of the injuries that happen from fireworks are burns. In fact, in a 2017 profile, 53% of the reported fireworks injuries were burn related.
Most often, the injuries are going to be to the hands and the fingers. That is where over 30% of injuries occurred in 2017 with over 20% of injuries being made to the eyes. When you think about it, fireworks can be devastating to the eyes.
They don’t get the name “fireworks” for just no reason at all. The whole purpose of them is to start fires of various types, usually with the intention of beauty and celebration. It is important to remember that fireworks are basically small versions of ballistic weapons. It is just that they are not used as such.
Dry land and loose clothing are a bad combination for anyone using fireworks. There is a strong risk of setting oneself or others on fire during what you would think should be a just a fun time. It can happen quickly and that always means without warning. Many wildfires are caused by fireworks.
Regardless of the very real facts and statistics about the dangers of fireworks, people are still going to use them since they are legal and sold in many states and cities across the country. Honestly, it is better to leave the fireworks shows to the professionals and never handle them yourself.
At the same time, there are some basic safety tips that can be followed to minimize the risk of injuries and fires. First of all, only adults should use fireworks at all. Never allow children to play with them or to ignite them no matter how much you are tempted. Always find a clear area like a parking lot to use away from dry vegetation and trash.
An adult should be present at all times during fireworks use to make sure that kids do not use them. Many parents to do not even realize how dangerous sparklers are. They burn at about 2,000 degrees which is just as hot as a blowtorch.
The most important safety is when you are right up on the fireworks. Never stand over them when lighting them and always get a safe distance. Never re-light fireworks or aim them or throw them at another person.
Keep a bucket of water nearby to put out any fires that start. In fact, a fire extinguisher is a good idea. Always use fire retardant gloves and wear goggles too. Be sure to pay very close attention to what you are doing at all times and extinguish any remaining flames completely.
On this website we use first or third-party tools that store small files (cookie) on your device. Cookies are normally used to allow the site to run properly (technical cookies), to generate navigation usage reports (statistics cookies) and to suitable advertise our services/products (profiling cookies). We can directly use technical cookies, but you have the right to choose whether or not to enable statistical and profiling cookies. Enabling these cookies, you help us to offer you a better experience.